Healthy Snack Ideas

by Jen on July 15, 2011

Good afternoon everyone!  I hope you are having a wonderful Friday.

We took the kids to the Calgary Stampede today!  And let me tell you, I’m beat.  We walked around and around and around…..went on rides…..played games……ate…….bought a Vitamix!  (That’s the part that I was happy about 🙂  The kids had a great time.  I mean why wouldn’t they?!  Games, rides, and food equals happy kiddos.

While we were at the Stampede, we were tempted by all the different types of food vendors.  Pizza, corn dogs, mini donuts, ice cream, burgers, cotton candy.  Typical fair food.  And because I’m gluten-free and dairy-free, none of these were an option for me.  Also, knowing that it would be extremely hard to find healthy food options, I knew I had to bring my own food.

Here is a list of some go-to snacks that I like to bring along on trips:

• hard boiled egg
  • 1/4 cup of nuts
  • fruits such as an apple, banana, orange, blueberries
  • veggies such as sugar snap peas, grape tomatoes, and baby carrots
  • hummus
  • 1 Tbsp natural nut butter spread between 2 slices of gluten-free or whole wheat bread
  • string cheese
  • small container of yogurt
  • small protein bar
  • low-fat, whole grain muffin
  • bottle of water

I have a little cooler bag that I can put my food in to keep it cool so it won’t spoil if I’m going to be out all day.  I love bringing these types of foods with me when I’m unable to eat at home.  This way I can save money and feel good about what I’m putting in my mouth!

What are some of your go-to snacks when you are away from home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Print This Print This

1 Racheal July 15, 2011 at 10:52 pm

You are far better than I! I devoured a deep fried onion and some deep fried cheese! I couldn't walk away! LOL

2 Stephanie @ Food and Fitness 4 Real July 16, 2011 at 1:47 am

Great snack ideas! When we go on road trips, I pack food for the adults and the kids. PB&J on wheat bread, apple and organge slices, cheese sticks, turkey & cheese rollups on whole wheat tortillas, grapes & bananas, whole wheat crackers, protein bars and shakes. We also keep a cooler in the car for our trips. Glad you had a great time with your kids today!

3 Jen Riley July 16, 2011 at 2:26 am

I'm always packing healthy snacks when we're on the go too! So much cheaper and better for you than stopping somewhere last minute and picking up food. And you got a Vitamix…woot, woot!

4 Lori: Teacher Turned Mommy July 16, 2011 at 10:54 am

I always bring food for the boys when we go to things like this too so they don't get a whole bunch of junk, which for the most part my boys don't like anyway. I'm better at remembering to pack them snacks than I am myself

5 joeytipping July 16, 2011 at 1:43 pm

My fav. snack when I travel by car from Calgary to AZ is a bag of Doritos!! I only have these when I'm travelling far from home but I'm gonna mend my wicked ways and bring some decent meals and snacks along next time we travel. Thanks for inspiring me to take better care of myself. xoxox

6 Suzi July 16, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I'm a big nut, natural fruit leather and lara or luna bar fan. they're super easy to just throw in my purse and grab when I'm hungry!

DId you have to drag the vitamix around all day or did you buy it at the end of your day? That would have tired me out just carrying that sucker around!

7 Merry July 18, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Due to poor planning and a threat by my family to revolt…I went to the stampede without snacks. I didn't do *too* bad…I had a corndog and a couple of bites of pizza. Then I had an amazing salad when I got home. Food allergies definitely take the choice away (though I think it might be better that way!).