I Got Costco’d

by Jen on July 11, 2011

I like to shop.  These days, my shopping usually involves a grocery store.  It seems I’m always buying food around here.  But I guess that’s pretty normal with 3 little boys and 1 big boy living in our house!  One of my favorite places to shop (besides Lululemon) is Costco.

I like to buy all of our meat there.  I buy a few packages of chicken, take them home, and bag them individually so I can store them in the freezer.  It’s much cheaper this way.  There are a few other things I like to buy there too.  Yesterday’s list was this:

KIDS VITAMINS
GUM
CHICKEN BREAST
PANCAKE MIX
TRAIL MIX

Now, there are a few rules when shopping at Costco:

1. Go prepared.  You must, I repeat, MUST bring a list with you.
2. You must bring only the amount of cash you are going to spend.  Leave your debit card at home.
3. Go alone.  Don’t bring a hungry husband or distracted kids.
4. Wear blinders so you don’t see what’s around you, just look for what’s on your list.
5. Walk fast.  Only go down the isles that your list allows.

There.  Got it?  I know you always follow those rules when shopping at Costco right?  Right??  Yep. Me too.

I wish.

Everytime I go to Costco, I leave with waaaaaay more than was on my list.  For example, here is a list of what actually came home with us yesterday:

PROTEIN BARS
TRAIL MIX
QUINOA
KIDS VITAMINS
GLUCOSAMINE
CHICKEN
PANCAKE MIX
COOKIES
KIDS STORAGE BINS
EGG WHITES
FUDGESICLES
GUM

That’s more than double what was on my list.  But the worst part, it’s more than triple what I wanted to spend.

But I must admit, the storage bins do make the playroom look pretty don’t ya think?!

I Got Costcod

And that, my friends, is how you get Costco’d!

pixel I Got CostcodPrint This Print This

1 SamiJoe July 11, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Are those fudgesicles gluten-free???

2 Lori: Teacher Turned Mommy July 11, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I so know what you mean. I go to BJ's (another club warehouse) weekly since milk and juice is cheaper there. I go with a list and almost always buy more than on my list. I get sucked in by the clothes and book section. oh well

3 Danielle S July 11, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Ha! Same thing happens here too. our bed, dinning room table, kitchen island, etc are all from Costco and not items we planned to buy at all!

4 Michelle July 11, 2011 at 11:24 pm

I love Costco. Period !!!

5 Jen Riley July 12, 2011 at 12:10 am

Yes, a list and blinders are a must when shopping at Costco!

6 Valerie July 12, 2011 at 5:23 am

Ha Ha! Great post! i just got back from Costco and I wish I had read this before I went…Great tips!

7 joeytipping July 12, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Ooooh, that toy storage bin alone was worth the trip! Very pretty. I'm sure the boys will love tossing toys into there! I'm going to Costco tomorrow. See me smile :)

8 joeytipping July 12, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I have to go to Costco to get some of their "ready ribs" as Caleb said to me last night: Nana, when are we going to eat those bones with the turkey on them? He actually meant the Costco ribs as they eat that at our house a lot and it's a big fav. with the boys (and their Papa).

9 Melanie July 13, 2011 at 11:43 am

I live two blocks from Costco and had to stop doing my weekly grocery shopping there (read *going twice/week*) It was insane! It is the land of impulse buying…love your tips!

10 Debbie July 13, 2011 at 2:44 pm

The Costco Breakdown!
I always giggle when I see someone in line with a cart of groceries and a keyboard or plasma TV balanced on top.
I love Costco's meat. Perfect for soaking in marinade and stocking the freezer for later. Also wonderful for large gatherings.