Good morning! How are you doing today? I’m am so freakin’ tired. All 3 kids had the stomach flu this week so it’s been…crazy! I’m just crossing my fingers that I stay healthy.
As I professed before on this blog, I love quinoa. It’s my new favorite grain. I use it in stir-frys, salads, and even soup! Since I like to make salads for my lunch, I thought I would share a new quinoa salad recipe with you. This one is a nice light salad, but full of flavour. I love the added sweetness of the cranberries.
|Cranberry Walnut Quinoa Salad||
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 19 oz. can no-salt-added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a medium pot, bring the water (or stock) and quinoa to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off and leave the covered pot on the burner for 5 more minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow the quinoa to cool.
- Transfer quinoa to a large bowl and mix in the chickpeas, pepper, cranberries, walnuts, and parsley. Chill before serving.
This salad has it all. Fibre and protein from the quinoa and chickpeas, the healthy fat of walnuts, and the sweetness of juicy cranberries. I serve this salad either as a side dish with dinner or as my lunch. Leftovers will last in the fridge for up to 5 days.
You’ll notice this salad doesn’t have a dressing, and truthfully, it doesn’t need it.