Taco Bites

by Jen on February 14, 2012

Good morning!  How are you today?  I’m doing okay, besides having a leaky faucet for a nose.  UGH.  All 5 of us are sick.  Some worse than others.  I’m hoping it all goes away soon.

When I’m sick, the last thing I feel like doing is slaving away in the kitchen to make dinner.  But I’m also not a fan of takeout food.  So in my effort to avoid work and greasy food, I look for an easy dinner to make.

And man oh man, do I have an easy dinner for you.  It’s a twist on an old favorite.

taco bites2 thumb Taco Bites

Pin It

Taco Bites

Ingredients

• 12 wonton wrappers
  • 1 lb extra lean ground beef
  • 1 package low-sodium taco seasoning (or make your own)
  • 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • Toppings:
  • chopped lettuce
  • chopped tomatoes
  • chopped black olives
  • salsa
  • sour cream

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. Press wonton wrappers into muffin tin and bake in oven for approximately 5 minutes (or until starting to turn golden). Remove from oven.
  3. In a skillet, cook ground beef until no longer pink. Add taco seasoning according to package directions.
  4. Spoon a tablespoon of seasoned beef into each wonton cup and top with some grated cheese.
  5. Place wontons back into the oven and cook until cheese is melted (approximately 5 - 10 minutes).
  6. Remove wontons from oven, serve on individual plates, and top with your favorite toppings.
 Taco Bites

taco bites1 thumb Taco Bites

Okay, so I know you could just go out and buy regular taco shells at your grocery store, but these are so much more fun.  And they are easy for little hands to hold.  My kids and hubby loved these taco bites.  I loved how easy they were to make and how fun they were to eat.

If you don’t like beef, you could use ground chicken or turkey.  Or if you are vegetarian you could fill them with refried beans!  The possibilities and endless.

taco bites3 thumb Taco Bites

pixel Taco BitesPrint This Print This

1 Lori@ Teacher Turned Mommy February 14, 2012 at 9:28 am

very cool and I bet the kids loved it too since it looks like fun food

2 Jen February 14, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Yes they did! If I can make food fun, I will :)

3 Jennifer February 14, 2012 at 9:36 am

those are cute! do you eat anything with them or just make a whole bunch?

4 Jen February 14, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I just made the 12 and then served them with a side salad. We had a couple left over, which were still really good the next day!

5 Wanda February 14, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Nice! We do ours in scoops and the kids love making them :)

6 Jen February 14, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I think the adults love it as much as the kids ;)

7 Jen February 15, 2012 at 2:07 pm

We do these all the time and the kids love them! We just use Tostitos Scoops too. I’ll have to try wonton wrappers sometime. Such a fun thing to eat :)

8 Jen February 15, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Seems like I’m out of the loop, you are the second person who says they use those “scoops!”

9 Bargainmoose February 17, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I love this recipe! We make something very similar, but like others we use Scoops instead of wonton wrappers! I love taking something as simple as taco’s and twisting it around to make a different meal! Something we do to avoid taco shells/tortillas and use romaine lettuce as the shells! All we do is make our taco toppings as normal, and wash big leafs of lettuce and fill them up! I find that I feel wayyy lighter then I would if we eat them with taco shells! Healthy and super messy! Great Post, Thanks! -Kate

10 Jen February 17, 2012 at 2:41 pm

We also make “lettuce” tacos too! A great way to cut down on carbs…and yes, it is messy ;) Thanks for stopping by!