Coconut Chicken Nuggets
Hey! How are on this sunny Monday? Well, it’s sunny here anyway. Spring is definitely in the air and me likey.
Do your kids like chicken nuggets? Do I even have to ask? I’m pretty sure I know the answer. Every kid likes chicken nuggets. But since I don’t support the fast-food industry, I like to make my own chicken nuggets at home. They are so simple to make and I know exactly what’s going into them…like 100% chicken!
Instead of just plain breaded chicken, I like to add a touch of sweetness with some shredded coconut. This recipe has also been lightened up by using panko crumbs instead of regular breadcrumbs.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup no-sugar added apricot preserves
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (adjust according to how spicy you like your sauce)
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine the coconut and panko. Put the flour on a small plate. In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites and milk.
- Working one piece of chicken at a time, coat the chicken in flour (shake off any excess), then dip it in the egg white mixture, then coat it in the coconut/panko mixture.
- Once you finished coating all the chicken pieces and placed them on your prepared cookie sheet, give the chicken a light mist with your non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake chicken in the oven for 10 minutes, turn chicken over and cook another 6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- To make the sauce, combine apricot preserves, vinegar, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
- Serve chicken with dipping sauce.
Kids and adults alike will love the flavour of the coconut. And as an added bonus, I’ve taken a lot of the sugar out of the dipping sauce by using no-sugar added fruit preserves. But trust me, no one will even know the difference.
So the next time your kids are wanting some chicken nuggets, you should make them these!