Coconut Chicken Nuggets
Add a touch of sweetness to plain chicken nuggets with coconut!
Do your kids like chicken nuggets? Do I even have to ask? I’m pretty sure I know the answer. Every kid likes chicken nuggets. But since I don’t support the fast-food industry, I like to make my own chicken nuggets at home. They are so simple to make and I know exactly what’s going into them…like 100% chicken!
Instead of just plain breaded chicken, I like to add a touch of sweetness with some shredded coconut. This recipe has also been lightened up by using panko crumbs instead of regular breadcrumbs.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup no-sugar added apricot preserves
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (adjust according to how spicy you like your sauce)
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine the coconut and panko. Put the flour on a small plate. In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites and milk.
- Working one piece of chicken at a time, coat the chicken in flour (shake off any excess), then dip it in the egg white mixture, then coat it in the coconut/panko mixture.
- Once you finished coating all the chicken pieces and placed them on your prepared cookie sheet, give the chicken a light mist with your non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake chicken in the oven for 10 minutes, turn chicken over and cook another 6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- To make the sauce, combine apricot preserves, vinegar, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
- Serve chicken with dipping sauce.
Kids and adults alike will love the flavour of the coconut. And as an added bonus, I’ve taken a lot of the sugar out of the dipping sauce by using no-sugar added fruit preserves. But trust me, no one will even know the difference.
So the next time your kids are wanting some chicken nuggets, you should make them these!