Abs Are Made in the Kitchen

by Jen on May 18, 2012

It’s no secret…we all want a six-pack.

And I’m not talking about beer.  I’m talking about your abs!

For years I had done crunches.  And more crunches.  And more crunches.  But that six-pack always continued to elude me.

After having 3 kids, I thought my dreams of a six-pack were done.  Forever.  How could one with permanent stretch marks and leftover saggy skin ever have abs?

Well, I’m here to tell you, you can!

And you don’t have to do a ton of crunches to get them.  Because, abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym!

abs in kitchen thumb Abs Are Made in the Kitchen

Let me share with you a little secret…

You already have a six-pack abs.  Yes, under that belly fat, lies a perfect six-pack.  Don’t believe me?  Just take a look at your kid’s abs…they are perfect, and they have probably never done a sit-up in their life!

But over time, as we exercise less and eat more, those abs become covered in belly fat.  So you head to the gym and torture yourself with a ton of crunches.  And after you torture yourself, you head to your nearest Starbucks are consume your favorite frappucino, which can be more than 500 calories.  And so the cycle begins.  Trust me, I know.  I used to be there.

It wasn’t until I changed my diet that my abs really started to show.  So what did I do in the kitchen to get my six-pack?

• cut out store bought treats
  • cut way back on white flour and refined sugar
  • added healthy fats to my diet such as nuts, avocados, and coconut oil
  • tracked my calories to make sure I was eating less than I was burning
  • added more lean protein to my diet such as lean chicken, fish, and Greek yogurt
  • increased my water intake

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that you shouldn’t do any abdominal work.  You still need to do that to define and chisel those abs, but you are NOT going to see them until you change your relationship with food!  Period.

baby bellies 300x300 Abs Are Made in the Kitchen

pixel Abs Are Made in the KitchenPrint This Print This

1 Mary May 18, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Thanks, enjoyed reading it. I agree!

2 Melanie Norman May 18, 2012 at 8:01 pm

So glad I found this blog! I was in a bit of a funk, I am a mom of three kids and my belly shows it! I was thinking, ‘I will never have a toned stomach, only stretch flabby skin.’ But your artiicle has given me hope that it is possible to have a toned stomach and abs after having kids! I am telling all my friends about your blog, we need help! Looking forward to more great tips!

3 Jen May 19, 2012 at 8:33 am

Yes, you can have abs after kids! Thanks so much for stopping by! There will be a lot more health and fitness tips ahead :)

4 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious July 4, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Great post! There’s this huge misconception that working out will change everything despite what you eat. It took me a while to learn that that isn’t true at all!
Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious recently posted..Holiday Recipe Club: Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Blueberry SauceMy Profile

5 Jen July 5, 2012 at 8:19 am

I was the same way for so many years….I finally changed my diet and that’s when everything changed :)

6 Laura July 10, 2012 at 9:29 am

Great post! I think you posted one of what you ate in a day a while ago. I would love to see that one again.

I am on a new challenge! I am officially cutting Splenda out of my diet. I think that too is having an effect on my diet and abs.

7 Jen July 10, 2012 at 11:41 am

Yes, most definitely give up artificial sugar! There is nothing but chemicals in that stuff. Hmmm…I’ll have to search for that post. I’ll let you know what I find!

8 Joanna November 10, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Hi! I just wanted to thank you! I Googled the image in this post, and I used it in my own blog post- giving credit (and a link) to your post :) Thanks for sharing, because this was THE perfect reading material for me right now!
Joanna recently posted..Exhausted for No Good Reason!My Profile

9 Jen November 11, 2013 at 8:27 am

Thanks Joanna! It’s one of my favorite posts :)