BBQ Chicken Pizza
I posted this recipe for BBQ Chicken Pizza about 2 years ago. However, I never added it to my “Recipes” page because the picture just didn’t do it justice.
So, last week I made this pizza again and took new pictures. Pictures that actually make you want to take a bite!
This pizza is one of our favorites! But really, what’s not to like about BBQ sauce, caramelized red onion, and chunks of juicy chicken. Some of the ways this BBQ Chicken Pizza is healthier than take-out:
- Whole wheat thin crust
- Low-sodium pasta sauce rather than regular pizza sauce
- Lean chicken breast
- Low-fat cheese
- 1/4 cup low-sodium pasta sauce (my favorite is tomato-basil)
- 1/4 cup barbeque sauce
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 15 white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 whole wheat thin crust pizza shell
- 1/2 cup light Tex Mex shredded cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro or parsley
- Preheat BBQ to medium heat and preheat oven to 450F.
- In a small bowl, combine the pasta sauce with 2 Tbsp of the BBQ sauce. Set aside.
- Grill chicken breasts until cooked through (approximately 15 minutes). While they are cooking, brush with remaining BBQ sauce. When cooked, remove from grill and slice into strips.
- In a medium skillet, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add red onion and cook for about 10 minutes, or until browned and caramelized. Add mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes. Add oregano and remove from heat.
- Spread sauce over pizza crust. Top with mushroom-onion mixture followed by chicken. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cilantro.
If you like BBQ flavour, then you will love this pizza. If you don’t have the time to BBQ the chicken breast on the grill, then you can slice it and cook it in the skillet before cooking the onions and mushrooms or, roast it in the oven and then shred it (which is my preferred way of cooking chicken.) I highly recommend the cilantro, but if you really don’t like it, then you can use parsley.
Serve this pizza with a side salad and you’ve got a complete meal the whole family will love.