Chicken Pesto Pizza
Remember a few weeks ago I posted my recipe for Lemon Basil Pesto?! I also remember promising you some recipes with that same Pesto. I came through with that promise by sharing my favorite Roasted Salmon with Lemon Basil Pesto recipe. And now, I’ve got another one…
Ahhh…finally, my 2 loves have come together; pizza and pesto. I could eat this combo everyday. Oh wait…I do! Okay, well maybe not every single day, but I make a mini version of this pizza for lunch a couple times a week (instead of using pizza dough, I use a whole wheat pita!)
The whole family loved this pizza. For the kids portion, I only spread a thin layer of pesto. For the adult portion, I smothered it on!
I love the addition of red peppers. Not only does it add a nice flavor to the pizza, but it also adds a pop of color.
I thought I would share my pizza dough recipe with you as well. It’s my go-to dough because it only takes a few minutes to mix together and rise. Plus, it’s healthy!
Chicken Pesto Pizza with Whole Grain Crust
For the crust:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2-1/4 tsp quick rise yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup very warm water
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp honey
For the pizza:
- 1/3 cup lemon basil pesto
- 6 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
For the crust:
- In a medium bowl, combine the flours, chia, yeast, and salt. Mix together.
- In a 1-cup measure, add the warm water then stir in the olive oil and honey. Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon to form a ball. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 2 minutes. Spray the bowl with olive oil spray and place dough inside. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, spray a pizza pan with olive oil spray and set aside. Preheat oven to 425F.
- When dough has risen, place on a lightly floured surface and using a rolling pin, roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer dough to your prepared pizza pan. Bake in oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and add toppings.
To assemble pizza:
- Spread pesto onto partially baked pizza crust. Top with chicken, red pepper, and cheese.
- Place pizza back in oven for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and crust is starting to brown.
- Remove from oven, slice, and serve!
Now that your basil is probably overflowing in your garden…you have no excuse not to make this delicious pizza. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed.