Chocolate Zucchini Brownies

by Jen on July 17, 2012

Raise your hand if you love brownies!  *Raising hand*

There is something about brownies that makes them simply irresistible.  Perhaps it’s the cake-like texture that appeals to me.  Cake is my all time favorite dessert, however, they can be a lot of work to make and then you have an entire cake on your hands.  Not that I have a problem eating it mind you…

But with brownies, they are simple to make and you can eat a small (or large) piece as a treat and then freeze the rest for another day.  Or you can share them with your family, friends, neighbors, whomever!

As you know, I’m a fan of incorporating healthy ingredients into my baking.  And one vegetable that is perfect for this is zucchini.

zucchini brownies picm thumb Chocolate Zucchini Brownies

I’m sure some of you are starting to grow some zucchini in your garden.  If you live in the north like me, then you’ll have to wait a little while yet.  But I suggest you bookmark this recipe that you’ll know what to make with all that zucchini!

zucchini browniesR2 thumb Chocolate Zucchini Brownies

I changed a lot of ingredients from the original recipe in order to make it healthier, so I wasn’t sure how these would turn out.  But, I was pleasantly surprised.  These brownies turned out moist and cake-like, just how we like ‘em.  And I love the little layer of chocolate frosting on top.

Chocolate Zucchini Brownies

• 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1 cup icing sugar
  • 1/4 cup skim milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray or line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the coconut oil, applesauce, honey, and vanilla.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture in batches to the wet mixture, stirring after each addition. Fold in the zucchini.
  4. The batter will be dry and crumbly, but don't worry! Spread the mixture evenly into your prepared pan.
  5. Place in the oven and bake for 25 - 30 minutes, or until the brownies spring back when gently touched. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
  6. To make frosting:
  7. In a medium bowl, add the cocoa powder to the melted coconut oil. Add in icing sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Stir until combined. Spread over cooled brownies and cut into squares.
 Chocolate Zucchini Brownies

I like that this recipe makes a big 9 x 13-inch pan of brownies.  I don’t feel so bad about sharing them because there is plenty to go around.  After sharing half of the pan with my in-laws, I kept the other half in the fridge with a knife.  Yes, that’s right, I kept the knife in the fridge with the brownies so I could just cut off a piece whenever I needed a little taste.

zucchini browniesR3 thumb Chocolate Zucchini Brownies

Enjoy!

pixel Chocolate Zucchini BrowniesPrint This Print This

1 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 17, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Yum! These look great! My grandma use to put zucchini in her chocolate cake and it was amazing. I bet it makes these brownies so delicious!
Heidi @ Food Doodles recently posted..Strawberry Banana Soft Serve with Homemade Magic ShellMy Profile

2 Jen July 17, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Mmmm…chocolate zucchini cake is my FAVORITE! I’ll be posting a recipe for that soon :)

3 Jen July 18, 2012 at 6:39 am

I’m totally making these today…more like right now!! I was craving some chocolate yesterday and had none in the house. I love that these brownies are healthier than the norm. Okay, I’m off to make breakfast and these brownies :)
Jen recently posted..Mini GolfMy Profile

4 Jen July 18, 2012 at 8:39 am

So…did you make the brownies? When I first made them, I thought they would turn out dry because the batter seemed dry, but they baked up nice and moist :)

5 Jen July 18, 2012 at 9:03 am

I did make them! And they are super moist. I love chocolate frosting so, that made them super delish! The kids kept asking me what smelled so, so good. I feel bad for not giving them a piece right away, but hey was only 8:00 in the morning. I, on the other hand, had myself a nice sized piece :) I told them they can have a small piece with their snack a bit later so, now they’re looking forward to that. Thanks for helping get my day off to a great start!
Jen recently posted..Mini GolfMy Profile

6 Jen July 18, 2012 at 1:02 pm

So glad you liked them Jen! I had a hard time sharing with the kids too ;)

7 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious August 17, 2012 at 11:42 am

Whoa, zucchini brownies?! It’s absolutely genius! And oh-so-healthy, meaning I can have twice as much, right? :)
Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious recently posted..Strawberry LemonadeMy Profile

8 Jen August 17, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Of course….gotta get your veggie serving in somehow ;)

9 Giselle@ahealthyhappyhome August 27, 2012 at 7:52 am

Those sound delicious and a great way to get some veggies in for kids that are picky. My 16 month old is starting to get picky which is a big change for use. So these are on my list to make and try! Thanks!
Giselle@ahealthyhappyhome recently posted..Weekend recap and Sunday Meal PlanningMy Profile

10 Jen August 27, 2012 at 8:47 am

Yes, I’m always looking for ways to “sneak” veggies into my kids! Enjoy :)

11 Tiffany September 15, 2012 at 9:07 am

First time reader, first time commenter. Thanks for sharing. I’m always looking for healthy new recipes and zucchini is one of my fave veggies to cook with. I’m going to really enjoy reading the rest of your blog. Thanks!
Tiffany recently posted..F%CK CANCERMy Profile

12 Jen September 16, 2012 at 8:58 am

Thanks so much for stopping by and checking out my blog! I love zucchini too…it’s so versatile :) I’ll be checking out your blog!

13 chelsea November 12, 2012 at 5:17 pm

After scouring the net for a healthy and easy zucchini brownie recipe I found yours and tried it with a few personal tweaks :
3/4 cup honey, instead of all purpose flour I used organic spelt flour with the whole wheat and I opted out of the frosting and instead added finely chopped walnuts as well as 86% dark choc chips (less than 1/4 cup each)

they look and taste AMAZING and are a huge hit!!!!!!!!!!!! soooo moist and delish ugh i have to restrain myself to two a day ahhahahaha

14 Jen November 12, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Sounds delicious! So glad you loved them. Yes, they can be highly addicting ;)

15 BB November 25, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I tried them, and LOVED them. I think the leftover frosting got the best of me though. :) Nutritional info, frosting and brownies separate preferred? Please and thanks!