Low-Fat Pumpkin Spice Cake
A Low-Fat Pumpkin Spice Cake made with simple ingredients! So easy to make and perfect for Thanksgiving.
It’s almost October, and you know what that means? Pumpkin season!
Personally, I absolutely love pumpkin. It’s great to bake with because it’s super healthy and adds a nice flavor to anything you add it to. I love anything with the words “Pumpkin Spice” in it. I also love cake! So, it was only natural to make a Pumpkin Spice Cake.
Now, I’m not normally one to use a box cake mix since I prefer to make my cakes from scratch. But when I saw a 2-ingredient cake using a box cake mix, I just had to try it.
Yes, that’s right, 2 ingredients in this cake. Normally when you buy a box of cake mix, you add oil and eggs, making for a high-calorie, high-fat cake. But what if I told you that you don’t need to add those things?! Would you believe me if I told you that you could actually make a moist and delicious cake without eggs and oil? Well, it’s time to start believing!
So, what did I add to the cake mix? 1 can of pure pumpkin. That’s it.
This cake was so moist and so delicious, I could hardly believe it myself. And, I made a low-fat cream cheese icing to top it off! *insert moaning here*
The next time you are craving some pumpkin spice, do me a favor and make this cake. You could even whip this up an hour before your guests arrive, it’s that easy!
Low-Fat Pumpkin Spice Cake
For the cake:
- 1 box carrot cake mix (can use spice cake or yellow cake mix)
- 1 16oz can pure pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
For the icing:
- 1 8oz pkg. low-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 - 4 Tbsp skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray two 9-inch cake pans with olive oil and line the bottoms of the cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix and pumpkin. Divide mixture evenly among the 2 cake pans. Bake in the oven for approximately 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. DO NOT OVER-BAKE or else cake won't be as moist! Remove pans from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pans and let cool completely before frosting.
- To make the icing, in a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, icing sugar, and vanilla extract. To make a thinner icing, slowly add in some milk, 1 Tbsp at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Place one cake layer on a plate. Spread 1/2 the icing on top. Top with the other cake layer and spread the remaining icing on top.
- Sprinkle with chopped walnuts if using.
Cal: 195 Fat: 4g Protein: 3g Fiber: 1g Sodium: 257g Sugar: 25g
To make this cake even lower in fat, you could use non-fat Cool Whip as an icing instead of the cream cheese...but I highly recommend the cream cheese!