Vitamins: The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

by Jen on September 18, 2012

I have been taking vitamins for the past few years.  It all started with my first pregnancy.  Once you confirm with your doctor that you are pregnant, the very first thing they tell you is that you need to be taking special prenatal vitamins.  So off to the drug store I went in search of these special vitamins.

Fast forward 3 pregnancies, 3 healthy and beautiful boys, and one tired momma…

I figured since I wasn’t taking my prenatal vitamins anymore, I should probably be taking some other multivitamin.  It’s easy to say that you’re going to get all the nutrition you need from food, but really, that’s just downright impossible…even for this health nut!  So again, off to the drugstore I go to find a multivitamin.

After taking my multivitamin for a year, I do some research on the vitamins and minerals we should be adding to our diet.  Turns out, a multivitamin isn’t enough.  I should be taking omega-3’s and vitamin D.  Off to the drugstore again.

Hold on a sec…if I’m taking these vitamins to stay healthy, then shouldn’t my kids also be taking these vitamins?  Yes!  Off to the drugstore again.  This time, I find cute little gummy vitamins for them to take.

As the intensity of my workouts increase, I notice my joints aching a little bit.  I do some more research and find that I should be adding glucosamine and chia seeds to my daily vitamin/mineral routine.  But I’m not done…

Once my kids entered school, they were constantly bringing home germs.  I knew I needed something to boost my immunity if I was going to survive the cold and flu season.  So, time to buy some Echinacea and vitamin C.

This is what my cupboard was holding by the time I was done (minus the whole chia seeds and adult fish oil pills):

IMG 1335 thumb Vitamins: The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

Want to know the monthly cost of all these vitamins/minerals? $236

Yes, that’s right.  I had no idea I was spending $236 per month on this stuff.  I would buy a bottle here, a bottle there, thinking it was no big deal.

But the real kicker…we weren’t even feeling better.  We were still suffering with colds every 3 weeks and my joints still hurt.

I knew something had to change.

Thank goodness I have friends who also care about their health and wellness, because without them telling me about these next 2 products, we would still be suffering (and paying a fortune for nothing!)

You’ve already heard about one of the products, Mila.  I can’t say enough about how it’s helped us feel our best due to it’s high omega-3, protein, and fiber content.  I also wanted us to be getting all the vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to stay healthy this cold and flu season, which is why I also turned to Vemma.

Vemma is a liquid multivitamin that provides the essential vitamins, minerals, and essential whole foods nutrients our bodies need to perform their best in addition to antioxidants for the maintenance of good health.  And because it’s a liquid, it’s bioavailable (body-ready).  Plus, it tastes like juice!  My kids love it, and I don’t have to swallow a handful of pills everyday!

So instead of all those bottles I showed you above, we now take only two products for our health:

IMG 1336 thumb Vitamins: The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

Curious about the monthly cost of these two products? $215

Wow!  I’m actually spending less than I was before but I’m feeling better!  Why?  Because those pills don’t absorb into your body.  They are full of fillers and other junk that just passes right through you.  So why would I want to spend my money on junk!??  I would much rather spend my money on natural products that are going to make me and my family feel our best.

Since adding Mila and Vemma to our daily routine, we have never felt better!  I know cold and flu season is in full swing now that school is back in session.  My 6 year old was complaining of a sore throat and ear ache last week.  He is prone to ear and throat infections, so I decided to give him a double dose of Vemma for 2 days to see if it would help.  Well…it certainly did.  Later the next day, his sore throat and ear ache were gone!

I truly believe in these two products which is why I became involved in both companies.  I only support products that make us healthy.  And I’m passionate about helping you feel your best and be your best, which is why I started this blog in the first place.

And please, I’m not writing about this to try and make money, that is the last thing I want this blog to be about.  I’m only sharing my real life experiences and encouraging you to do the research as well, and determine what is best for you and your family.

If you have any questions about Mila or Vemma, please feel free to contact me, I would be happy to answer them.

Cheers to your health!

pixel Vitamins: The Good, The Bad, And The UglyPrint This Print This

1 Laura September 18, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Hey Jen

That is very interesting! I also agree that our bodies will better recognize the nutrients we get from whole foods better than supplements. Very interesting book by Dr. Fuhrman called Eat to Live. Plugged by Dr. Oz this week but talks about this very topic.

2 Jen September 19, 2012 at 7:35 am

I agree with the concept of “eat to live”. Unfortunately, our society eats the opposite way. That’s why we are here, to change that mentality :)

3 Sara September 18, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Neat, I haven’t heard of or tried either of those two products… as for my own vitamins plan, I have a women’s multi-vitamin, vitamin D (a fried of mine did her master’s thesis on it, so I have to take it right?) and vitamin C + Echinacea and andrographis (supposed to ward off colds and flu) anyways I take them semi regular… but can’t say if they make a difference either way.
Sara recently posted..I won a BlackBerry Music GatewayMy Profile

4 Jen September 19, 2012 at 7:34 am

I used to take the same exact vitamins and was always sick. But since adding Vemma, we’ve never felt better and can fight off colds much quicker :)

5 michelle nees September 19, 2012 at 1:56 pm

In my opinion, there is NOTHING better than Vemma. After nealy 6 years of 24/7 chronic daily headaches, 2 months after starting Vemma and they are 100% GONE!! My 10 year old drinks Vemma Next and loves it. I ran out for a week and sure enough, he started getting sick. As soon as he was back on it, he got better. It truly IS an amazing product that also has a 100% empty bottle, 30-day money back guarantee!!

6 Jen September 19, 2012 at 4:20 pm

So glad you love Vemma too! I’ve noticed such a difference in our health since we started taking it :) And yes, 30-day money back guarantee…nothing better than that!

7 Hanna September 23, 2012 at 6:22 am

Hello! I am living in Sweden right now and can’t seem to find Mila. Can you recommend where I can get ahold of it?

8 Jen September 23, 2012 at 7:25 am

You can order Mila online from my website http://www.lifemax.net/jengacek However, I don’t think you can order Mila in Sweden yet. You can check the website and see which countries it ships too currently. Hopefully it will be there soon :)

9 Laura September 23, 2012 at 8:33 am

Jen

Thanks so much for introducing me to these! My son was feeling sick yesterday so I made sure I had my Vemma and sure enough I avoided getting sick. We also made sure he had his Vemma and it is helping him get better. Great lesson to make sure he gets it everyday!

Laura

10 Jen September 23, 2012 at 9:04 am

Hey Laura! You are so welcome :) Vemma sure helps with the colds and infections! I like to split up our dose, 1/2 in the morning with breakfast and 1/2 in the afternoon with a snack. The antioxidants stay in our body for 6 hours, so by splitting the dose, you have antioxidants working in your body all day! And if the kids are coming down with something, I’ll give them a little extra just to help pump up their immune systems :)

11 Suzi @ Confessions of a Fitness Instructor September 23, 2012 at 4:19 pm

A few years ago I was involved in a conference call with Swiss regarding vitamins, and the PR rep who was on the call with me had asked why Swiss didn’t sell gummy vitamins like most other brands were. The answer? Because in testing they couldn’t actually prove that ANY of the vitamins or minerals were being absorbed into your system. Ever since then, anytime I see someone taking a gummy vitamin I think, “you might as well buy gummy bears – at least they are cheaper!”

Knowing how frequently your kids get sick every winter I’m excited to see the difference this year now that you’ve changed to just Mila and Vemma
Suzi @ Confessions of a Fitness Instructor recently posted..The Preview for ZIN 41 is Here!My Profile

12 Jen September 23, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Mmmmm…gummy bears ;) I totally believe it, they are just candy labelled as “vitamins!” Those companies are making a fortune selling junk. Yes, Vemma has helped the kids stay healthier since school started which is a huge relief!

13 Danielle October 3, 2012 at 6:36 am

Im surprised in all this discussion that no one has mentioned Usana nutritional supplements. They are rated as one of the top three by independent studies because, unlike so many other vitamins, they are pharmaceutical grade. Pure, potent, and bioavailable. Even olympic athletes will take them because there is a guarantee about their purity. I agree with all others in that its a waste of money to buy cheap vitamin supplements, which never made a difference for me. Since starting Usana vitamins I feel so much better and our family rarely gets sick. Cheers to good health!

14 Kristina November 8, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I am very interested in these supplements. So do you now only take these two everyday- no other vitamins?

15 Jen November 8, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Hey Kristina! Yes, these are the only things I take :) Let me know if you want more info!