The 21 Day Fix Nutrition Plan

by Jen on April 25, 2014

21 Day Fix Nutrition Plan

I’ve been posting about my love for the 21 Day Fix meal plan on my Facebook page a lot!  I just can’t help it, I’m love with the whole thing.  It just makes a ton of sense to me!

It’s not that I wasn’t eating healthy before…I just wasn’t eating the correct portion and balance of foods for me and my body’s needs.  This program is basically fool proof.  If you follow the guide book and stick to the list of foods, you can’t lose!  You WILL see results.

What I like most about it is NO MORE MEASURING and NO MORE COUNTING!!  I really hated logging into MyFitnessPal each day and manually typing in every. single. thing. I. ate. that. day.  Boring.  I have nothing against MFP, I think it’s a wonderful site, but to keep that up for months at a time gets to be a bit much.  Instead, I just fill up my containers with the approved foods and I know that it’s exactly how much I should be eating for my calorie range.  Simple. And I’ve noticed that my body has a much better system of regulating when I’m full.  I know exactly when to stop eating.

21-day-fix-nutrition-tip

I’m still eating the same as I was before: having 1 (or 2) veggies, a complex carb, and protein at each meal…or as you can see in the pic, I don’t have a carb at every meal.

21-day-fix-dinner

I get asked all the time about what a grocery list should like; what types of foods should you buy.  While I can’t list EVERYTHING you need here, I’m going to give you some suggestions based on what you should be eating on a daily basis for the Fix.

Proteins:

lean chicken or turkey breast
fish like salmon and tilapia
eggs
lean ground turkey
pork tenderloin
tempeh
plain Greek yogurt

Turkey bacon is on the approved list, but I stay away from meat like that is it’s very high in sodium and you can retain a lot of water when you eat it.

Vegetables:

spinach
broccoli
asparagus
beans
carrots
cucumbers
celery

Of course there are many more, but these are some of my favourites.

Fruits:

berries
watermelon
orange
apple
grapes
kiwi
1/2 banana

Notice it says 1/2 a banana??!  Bananas are higher in starch, so that is why a little goes a long way.

Complex Carbs:

yams and sweet potatoes
beans
brown rice
quinoa
corn
rolled oats (NOT instant)
whole wheat bread
whole wheat tortilla

There are also things like whole wheat waffles, pancakes, crackers, etc.  For me, these are not part of my diet as I prefer to eat Ezekiel bread as it’s lower in carbs and easier to digest and I also like brown rice tortillas.  However, if you are just starting and want to include those things, go ahead…baby steps, right?!

Healthy Fats:

avocado
raw nuts
natural nut butter
hummus
goat cheese
coconut oil

This is the category I would usually eat too much of in the past!  Cutting down on these foods and also eliminating cheese and dairy from my diet has helped me tremendously.  Cheese makes me really bloated, and I’ve noticed that is gone now since eliminating it and also since switching to a vegan protein drink.

A list of other ingredients I use frequently:

chia seeds
unsweetened almond milk (for my Shakeology and Oatmeal Cookie Cereal)
lemons
herbs/spices
lemons for my water
raw honey

If you would like more support in your 21 day fix journey or you would like to start your 21 day fix journey please complete this application to be considered for my next 21 day fix accountability, support/challenge group!

My 21 Day Fix before/after

21-day-fix-before-after

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Print This Print This

1 Maria June 24, 2014 at 6:17 am

I didn’t order the program but want to try and eat healthy. I workout daily at a gym and didn’t want to get the DVD and not utilize the GYM which i pay each month. Would i see results without the workout DVD?

2 Jen June 27, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Yes, you can use the nutrition portion and continue working out at the gym. However, you can’t order it separately, it comes with the DVD’s. Is that still an option Maria?

3 Melissa Gustafson June 29, 2014 at 11:16 am

I have been doing a lot of research on the 21 day fix — I see you have a pretty simple list of foods to use instead of being overwhelmed with those long lists. I haven’t seen chia seeds in any other list – are they acceptable because I would rather have those compared to flax seeds.

4 Jen June 30, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Yes, that are approved! They count as an orange container 🙂

5 Jeannine C February 15, 2016 at 11:04 am

Hi Jen,
Would you use a whole orange container or a different servicing size of chia seeds? Ex tsp or tablespoon?
Thanks!

6 Jen February 15, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Yes, you can use the whole orange container for chia seeds, which is about 2 Tbsp worth 🙂

7 Devoted July 6, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I am starting the 21 day fix today, but having problems with the amount of calories I am suppose to be consuming in 1 day. It seems to excessive. I am 231 pounds and I am suppose to be consuming 2,100 calories a day. The more what you have on you, the more calories I would need to consume. Please help!

8 Jen July 7, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Yes, that does seem right! You will need to recalculate as you lose weight so that number will go down. But stick to the plan for now as it’s guaranteed to give you results when followed 🙂

9 carrie July 8, 2014 at 11:43 am

I see that you cut out dairy, but is milk on the list any where?

10 Jen July 8, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Yes, low-fat milk is acceptable 3 times a week!

11 Sandra July 19, 2016 at 8:33 am

low fat is acceptable 3 times a week how do we count that? What container should i use.?

12 Jen July 19, 2016 at 3:47 pm

Sorry, I’m not quite sure I understand your question Sandra.

13 Tiffany January 5, 2017 at 10:13 pm

The book tells you to measure a certain amount in the shakeology cup and count it as a yellow I believe.

14 Hillary July 15, 2014 at 2:11 pm

I just received 21 day fix and sample box of Shakeology. My question is…Can you drink shakeology as a replacement meal or which containers does it classified as?

15 Jen July 15, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Yes, it is meant to replace 1 meal per day…whichever meal you want, it doesn’t have to be a main meal, it can be a snack like I use it for. 1 scoop = 1 red container, then if you add anything to it, like banana or peanut butter, that would also add a purple and tsp.

16 Heather July 16, 2014 at 11:13 pm

I like Maria have not ordered the program but I have done my research and I have a real understanding of it. I also have a gym membership and would like to keep that and include the portion control of the 21 day fix. I have made my list of the approved foods but I have not seen any lists for drinks. My question is where would juices and lowfat or almond milk fall under?

17 Jen July 17, 2014 at 11:50 am

Fresh fruit juice and almond milk fall under the “complex carb” category and you can have them up to 3 times a week.

18 Katie July 20, 2014 at 12:33 pm

I am thinking of starting the 21 day fix. I was wondering if I had to follow the recipes you have or can I do my own with the foods I like. I mean can I use the containers and make things as long as it fits. And where wold I go for a list of foods? And is there eggs in any of them?

19 Jen July 23, 2014 at 3:45 pm

No, you don’t need to follow the meal I have, you can make whatever recipe you have that fits within the 21 day Fix guidelines. I make sure the plans I give my challengers are 21 Day Fix approved..meaning they follow the list of foods int he nutrition guide. Yes, there are eggs in the protein section. Do you have the program already Katie? If not, I can help you get it and then you can join my free online group where I help you get the most out of the program. Is this of interest to you?

20 Lupita July 20, 2014 at 1:41 pm

What about cold cereals? There are so many to chose from. Thank you

21 Jen July 23, 2014 at 3:43 pm

The cereal needs to be whole grain, low sugar. Look for natural ones like Kashi. If you would like to join my free accountability group on Facebook, I can help answer all your questions there! There are many women in the group who have done the program, so lots of inspiration and ideas 🙂 Is this of interest to you Lupita?

22 Stephanie July 21, 2014 at 2:32 pm

So when it says 1/2 a banana that would equal one purple right? So if I had a whole banana in my shake that would be it for fruit for that day?

23 Jen July 23, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Correct!

24 Heather July 22, 2014 at 4:33 pm

It’s been a couple days now of the 21 day fix and I feel like I’m constantly eating. Is this normal? I fit into the highest caloric intake range so am I supposed to eat all that food?? I’m always full and feel like I’m eating too much.

25 Jen July 23, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Yes, that is normal Heather! It’s a program where you don’t starve yourself..you eat to lose weight!! If you like, you are welcome to join my free accountability group on Facebook! It’s a great place to chat with other women who have done the program and we can answer many of your questions and help you get the most out of the program. Is that something that interests you Heather?

26 laura tubbs July 23, 2014 at 7:10 pm

The container can only be filled once a day? it doesn’t seem like a lot of food?

27 Jen July 24, 2014 at 12:48 pm

No, you fill it for however many servings you get each day based on your calorie range. So if you are allowed 5 servings of veggies, then you fill the green container 5 times throughout the day 🙂

28 keren cordova July 28, 2014 at 8:08 am

I just received my 21 day fix. What time should I be doing my workout? Right when I wake up? After breakfast? Or afternoon?

29 Jen July 28, 2014 at 9:56 am

Hey Keren! That’s great you received your program!! It doesn’t matter what time of day you workout..whichever works best for you. I like to tell people to do it at the point in the day when they have the least distractions, that way you are more likely to get it done.

30 Colleen July 28, 2014 at 7:45 pm

How would you count chia seeds? Would it count as an orange container? Thanks!

31 Jen July 29, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Yes, they are orange!

32 Colleen July 29, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Thanks so much!

33 shar July 29, 2014 at 9:11 am

What about foods like spinach do I measure before or after cooking due to shrinkage

34 Jen July 29, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Hey Shar! For cooked spinach, you can cook 2 green containers worth of spinach, and then it will wilt down to 1 container. For raw spinach, you get 1 container.

35 Janice July 29, 2014 at 9:44 am

I just started my program yesterday and loving it. I enjoy coconut water. Is it allowed on your program? Where would it fit?

36 Jen July 29, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Yes, you can have coconut water Janice! Check out page 38 of the nutrition guide, it is listed there!

37 Janice July 29, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Thanks Jen! I missed that.

38 Kathy July 31, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Hi, do I need to be on Facebook to be part of the group?

39 Jen August 1, 2014 at 7:57 am

Hey Kathy! Yes, I run the group through Facebook. It’s a private group, so none of your Facebook friends see your posts, plus it’s the only way where we can all be in a group together to help with accountability and support. The group aspect is the most important part 🙂 Are you on Facebook?

40 Shirley August 1, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Hi, great website! I am interested in joining the group. I have the system already, but need some resources for meal planning. I start Sunday.

41 Jen August 5, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Hey Shirley! That’s great, I would love to have you. Please message me on my Facebook page, TheFitHousewife and we can chat about the group 🙂

42 Kathy August 1, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Ok thanks Jen. I am not on Facebook.

43 Tiffany August 1, 2014 at 6:54 pm

I would like to join a private face book group. I just ordered the 21 day fix today and expect to receive it sometime next week. I plan on doing several rounds since I need to loose 80 to 100 pounds!

44 Jen August 5, 2014 at 12:14 pm

That’s great Tiffany! I would love to have you in my group! Can you please email me at clientcare@thefithousewife.com so we can chat more about the group 🙂

45 Marta August 2, 2014 at 9:58 am

Hi I finished second raund of a program 2 weeks ago. I didn’t lost much weight but lost inches. I love containers its so easy to prepare meal. Now I started chalean extreme and I am not like her recepies can I still use containers to prepare my own meals for chalean extreme?

46 Jen August 5, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Yes, you sure can Marta!! Way to go on losing inches 🙂

47 Nancy August 3, 2014 at 9:33 pm

I am not able to work out as I injured my back, do you know if I should be cutting out some containers?

48 Jen August 5, 2014 at 12:12 pm

If you can’t workout, then stick to the lowest calorie bracket. You should never eat below 1200 calories! I hope your back feel better soon!

49 tammy August 6, 2014 at 8:40 pm

hello i was wondering what container dill pickles would go in and pretzels

50 Jen August 7, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Hey Tammy! Those two things don’t go into any containers as they are not on the 21 Day Fix plan.

51 Tammy Szurczynski August 7, 2014 at 12:51 pm

OMGno salty pretzels lol. How aabout pepperoni

52 Jen August 8, 2014 at 12:06 pm

HAHA…no!!!

53 Kristen August 8, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Just ordered mine today! I plan on sticking with my insanity workout but following the 21 day eating plan will that still work?

54 Jen August 9, 2014 at 11:16 am

Yes, that will work, but you will probably need more calories 🙂

55 Mark Diaz August 12, 2014 at 10:40 am

Hello, I recently started 21 day fix and for breakfast I had 2 hardboiled eggs, blue berries, and a whole grain waffle. when i filled up my purple container, it felt overwhelming for the 1 WG waffle I was eating, i had finished my waffle and still had about 1/2 cup of blueberries sitting on my plate. is there something i did wrong?

56 Jen August 12, 2014 at 5:14 pm

No, there is nothing you did wrong Mark. If it was too much, then add in the leftover blueberries to your snack or at lunch 🙂

57 Julie Barnard August 14, 2014 at 7:27 am

Great website – thanks for the info!

I am hypo-thyroid, and have done extensive research on foods I should not eat. This is going to seriously limit me, as goitrogens (broccoli, cauliflower, kale, spinach – all things I love, of course), are awful for my metabolism. I was chowing on fresh, undressed broccoli and spinach and GAINING weight. Common sense dictates that I would only eat foods that are on BOTH lists, but I’m wondering if you have had any experience with anyone else or have any tips for me…? Maybe not even just with meal plans, but overall?

58 Jen August 14, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Hey Julie! Thanks for messaging me 🙂 I do know some people with hypothyroid and they are fine on the 21 Day Fix. They just eat those veggies in moderation, and then use more of the veggies that you can have. They also drink Shakeology to help with their fatigue and aching muscles…do you have any of those symptoms?

59 Julie Barnard August 15, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Yeah, I do have fatigue, occasionally achey muscles… I’m hoping the exercise will help with that. Plus, I started taking iodine which has helped tremendously with my energy levels! I’m going to have to order some of the Shakeology, too…!

Thank you so much for your input, I’m glad I asked! 😀

60 Jen August 16, 2014 at 10:03 am

Are you a Beachbody coach as well Julie?

61 Julie Barnard August 18, 2014 at 7:27 am

Nope – this is the first Beachbody program I’ve tried. I have a friend who has had great luck with Insanity, but I think this program will work better for me to start with.

62 Tina Bradshaw August 15, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Is this plan for someone who only eats seafood about three times a week? Does it offer a lot of non meat protein options?

63 Jen August 16, 2014 at 10:03 am

No, most definitely not. I don’t really eat fish, and I have tons of protein options I can choose from, even non-meat options. Please email me clientcare@thefithousewife.com if you would like to chat more about it Tina!

64 Alex August 16, 2014 at 1:07 am

Quick question… Is honey allowed for the challenge? If so, what container does it count for? Also, I’m on my third day, and I know it’s a diet that’s not supposed to starve me, but that’s how I feel. Like I’m starving. I get full at meal times, but in the times that I can’t eat I feel so hungry(even after snack) , I’m in the lowest calorie bracket. Is this normal in the first week?

65 Jen August 16, 2014 at 10:02 am

Hey Alex! Honey doesn’t count for a container, but if you check out page 15 of your guide, it tells you what you can have per day. What exactly were the calories you calculated that you should be having? Please let me know and we can figure this out 🙂

66 Alex August 16, 2014 at 10:21 am

1125, so I rounded it to the 1200

67 Jen August 18, 2014 at 10:37 am

Okay, that’s good! And you’re eating the 5 meals a day?

68 Kara August 17, 2014 at 11:53 pm

I just received my 21-day fix ‘kit’! So excited to learn portion control and lose this 15 lbs!

69 Jen August 18, 2014 at 10:38 am

Awesome Kara! I’m super excited for you start! If you want some extra support and motivation, please message me on my Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/TheFitHousewife and I’m happy to add you to my free support group 🙂

70 Michelle August 18, 2014 at 8:32 am

I love these containers and this diet. I cannot believe how much goes in these containiners. I like the almond milk for my shakes…which group does the almond milk count for?

71 Jen August 18, 2014 at 10:41 am

Hey Michelle! I couldn’t agree more! No more starving yourself to get results! Check out page 38 of your guide and you will see where and how almond milk fits in 🙂
Also, if you want some extra support, please message me on my Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/TheFitHousewife and I can add you to my free accountability group!

72 michelle M August 18, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Hey! I just ordered the 21 day fix and was wondering if I would still see results and lose weight if I dont do the shakeology !?

73 Jen August 18, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Hey Michelle! Yes, you will still get results! I use the Shakeology to help give me more energy and reduce my cravings for sweets..plus it’s a great source of protein 🙂 If it’s something you would like to know more about or try a sample, please email me at clientcare@thefithousewife.com

74 Amy August 25, 2014 at 11:20 am

Hi, I am on day 11 of the 21 day fix and am down 5 pounds. Loving the program.

I’m trying to determine container equivalent for a bowl of egg drop soup. I’m going out and know I could order it b/c it’s low calorie, but want to be careful if there is another danger to eating this on the plan

75 Jen August 26, 2014 at 10:48 am

Hey Amy! I wish I could answer your question, but I’m not sure what’s in it…do you happen to know the typical ingredients?

76 brianna August 27, 2014 at 9:03 am

Hi, I just came across the 21 day fix programme and am thinking about getting the kit . However I recently bought Insanity and I think I will want to do the 21 day fix after. My question though is: is the eating plan on the 21 day fix programme suitable for an intense programme such as Insanity?

77 Jen August 27, 2014 at 11:30 am

Hey Brianna! Yes, there is a calculation for calories to consume on the program if you are doing a high-intensity workout like Insanity. Let me know if you are going to order, and you can do so through me and join one of my accountability groups!

78 sherri September 3, 2014 at 6:52 pm

What container would I use for Chia seeds?

79 Jen September 4, 2014 at 9:19 am

You can use the orange container Sherri!

80 Susan barnard November 24, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Question? Can I eat my chia seeds with this diet?

81 Jen November 24, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Yes! They count as an orange container.

82 Michelle Sheerer December 11, 2014 at 7:14 am

How many of each container a day?

83 Jen December 13, 2014 at 11:02 am

That depends on the calorie range you are in. The calculation is in the nutrition guide 🙂

84 nancy bergin December 12, 2014 at 3:36 pm

how can i get the manual i have the tapes and containers but my grandson left the book outside in the rain

85 Jen December 13, 2014 at 11:03 am

You can’t buy it separately Nancy. Perhaps you can contact customer service at 1-800-470-7870.

86 Adriana Olivarez March 17, 2015 at 11:31 am

Ive tried 21 day fix a couple of times before and seen results. I have a question. I want to incorporate a protein powder, which do you recommend other than shakeology. That is a little out of my price range. Is it ok to try Raw protein?

87 Jen March 17, 2015 at 2:53 pm

That’s great you have done the 21 Day Fix, it’s an amazing program. I’m sorry, I can’t recommend another powder as Shakeology is a dense superfood nutrition drink, not just a protein powder, so we can’t compare them. I suggest looking for something without soy, artificial flavours, and artificial sugars 🙂

88 robert May 2, 2015 at 5:51 am

i like to get more info. i ave been on the 21 day fix for aweek now . pants are loose but weight is about the same. also ned som einfo on meal planning. i do th e3o min exercise everyday but wondering if im doing them at the wrong time i do afer an hour of eating . is this not wise. please email me back ok tyou

89 Jen May 2, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Hi Robert, thanks for your comment! If working out an hour after eating fits into your schedule, that’s totally okay. It doesn’t matter what time of day we workout, as long as we are doing it 🙂 Have you checked out my YouTube video about meal planning for the 21 day fix? https://youtu.be/Dv7eSywb8Bg?list=PLj-iYn6hZRl3pdbFNKYn-aNYn6bPnGneV

90 Megan February 5, 2016 at 10:23 am

I’ve started the 21 day fix…I’m on day 5…I was wondering, instead of plain Greek yogurt, can I have Activia or something else? I just can’t choke down the plain yogurt..even with fruit lol

91 Jen February 5, 2016 at 4:44 pm

Have you tried mixing the plain yogurt with berries in a blender and touch of honey? I notice that other brands of yogurt contain added sugar and other unhealthy additives.

92 amanda February 9, 2016 at 2:33 pm

I am in my third week of 21 day fix I love the work out and have lost inches but I am struggling to plan meals I get the concept and what food fits into each category just cant seem to wrap it around what meals I actually like. and to top it off even after eating five meals hitting all nutrition requirements I am still hungry. please help!
thanks,
Amanda

93 Jen February 9, 2016 at 4:41 pm

Hi Amanda, thanks for your comment. Would you be able to email me thefithousewife@gmail.com so we can chat further! Thanks!! I look forward to chatting with you about your program 🙂

94 Danielle April 1, 2016 at 7:33 am

I am just starting the 21 day fix and I really can’t do black coffee. I’ve tried and it just grosses me out. I also am not ready to give up my coffee. I drink Maxwell house International coffee French Vanilla. there are 60 calories per serving, 2.5 grams fat, 10g carbs, 8g sugars. Can I have just one serving? How would I account for this in my containers?

95 Jen April 2, 2016 at 12:26 pm

I would say you’ll have to count that as 1/2 a yellow container.

96 Tammy September 22, 2016 at 10:36 am

with regard to a banana – does a small one still count as two fruits or does it depend on the size – ie., cut it up and see if it fits in the purple container?
Tammy recently posted..My All Natural Skin Care RoutineMy Profile

97 Jen September 23, 2016 at 9:35 am

I think it depends on the size…a whole small banana would still be over the recommended amount..maybe 3/4 of the banana if it’s small.

98 Jen January 6, 2017 at 9:54 am

The 21 day fix counts Shakeology as a red.

99 Jen August 18, 2014 at 10:39 am

Okay, that’s great Julie! If you would like order Shakeology or try some samples first, please message me on my Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/TheFitHousewife and I’m happy to help you out 😉