Do you manage to eat healthy during the week and then struggle during the weekends? Keeping off the weight gain during the weekend is a real struggle for most of us, especially when the weekend means dinner parties, lunch out with friends, going to the movies with your kids, etc. We often overdo it on the weekend only to start back at square one on Monday.
The good news is, you can stick with your healthy game plan , continue with your weight loss plan, and still have FUN! It just takes a little planning and some willpower. Here are my TOP 10 tips to avoid the weekend weight gain:
1. Eat a good breakfast: Try to make a breakfast full of healthy carbs, like some oatmeal. Getting your carbs in early in the day means you have the rest of the day to burn them off.
2. Take your own snacks: If you’re headed out for the day, be sure to bring along some of your own snacks. Foods that pack easily are fruits (bananas, apples, oranges), a small bag of raw almonds, your own healthy trail mix, or a healthy granola bar.
3. Research restaurants: You don’t have to avoid all restaurants on the weekend. Most restaurants post their menu online. Simply decide where you are going beforehand, look up their menu, and check out the healthy options they offer. Choose options that are baked, boiled, or grilled. And if you MUST have dessert, share it with a friend or your family.
4. Drink more water: It’s easy to confuse hunger for thirst, so plan to have a water bottle with you at all times. Sipping water will help you pace yourself at meals, stay healthy, and not overdo it when alcohol is around. My personal rule when drinking alcohol – have 1 full glass of water for every alcoholic beverage.
5. Enjoy a long workout: Schedule your longer workouts on the weekend, when you have a bit more spare time. Go for a longer run or get the family involved by going for a hike.
6. Don’t starve yourself all day: So you’re planning on going out for a big dinner…the worst thing you can do is starve yourself all day so you can enjoy your big meal. When you sit down to a meal famished, you are more likely to indulge in unhealthy choices. Plus, not eating all day really messes with your metabolism, and not in a good way!
7. Keep portions in check: You can still enjoy your favourite foods over the weekend, but just remember not to overdo it, keep portions in control. The typical restaurant portion is double what we should be eating, so split your favourite dish with someone or, divide it in half when you receive it and get the other half to take home.
8. Make sleep a priority: Not getting enough sleep affects your levels of hunger-regulating hormones, which can mess with your weight loss goals. Try to get seven hours of sleep each night.
9. Eat before you go out: If you’re headed out for a big dinner, make sure to eat before you go. There are so many temptations, but you’ll be better prepared when you don’t go with an empty stomach. Snack on some plain Greek yogurt with fruit, some raw nuts, or have half a sandwich before leaving for the party.
10. Have a plan: After you have a big night out, set yourself up for success by planning out your workout and healthy meals for the next day. This is one of the best ways to indulge guilt-free.Print This