How To Make Any Recipe 21 Day Fix Approved

by Jen on May 4, 2015

Do you have a favourite recipe but you’re not sure it fits into the 21 Day Fix plan? Here’s how to make ANY recipe 21 Day Fix Approved!

How to make any recipe 21 day fix approvedI get so many messages from people asking me if there is a “secret” formula to figuring out if a recipe is 21 Day Fix approved. I know it can get boring just eating plain foods from the 21 Day Fix lists, but guess what? You CAN enjoy healthy, delicious recipes that are 21 Day Fix approved, you just have to know how to make some slight changes, which I will share with you below:

Add Seasonings for FREE

There are so many spices and herbs you can add to your meals that are “free” on the 21 Day Fix. I would avoid seasonings that have any salt in them. To avoid these, you can either 1) make your own seasonings, or 2) look for ones in the store that don’t have any salt (Mrs. Dash is a good example.)

Here is my 21 Day Fix approved recipe for Steak Fajitas using my own taco seasoning!

Switch up your carbs

By now you know NOT to eat refined grains like white flour, right?! So I like to either substitute whole wheat flour or a gluten-free flour when a recipe calls for white flour. These Skinny Peanut Butter and Banana Bars are a perfect example (they are worth 1 yellow container BTW!)

I’m going to recommend you stay away from most bread in the store. Even if it’s whole wheat, it still has a ton of additives to it. For my family, I buy their bread fresh from a local bakery which uses whole ingredients. I have also bought the Ezekiel 4:9 bread at the grocery store. Just make sure you are reading the ingredients label on the package. Since I’m gluten free, I don’t eat bread. I now eat grains like rice and quinoa or veggies like sweet potatoes. I also buy gluten-free wraps to use for homemade pizza! So instead of serving this pizza on a whole wheat crust, you could put the ingredients on a gluten-free tortilla instead!

We don’t eat a lot of pasta in our house as it is quite heavy (and who wants to use a yellow container for pasta!!?) I like to swap spaghetti squash for pasta noodles!! Instead of a yellow container, it counts as a green – and we all need help with getting in more green containers 😉

Moooove over cream

You’ll notice that sour cream is not on the 21 Day Fix list. But hey, that’s okay!! I’ve been using Greek yogurt instead of sour cream for years!! So if a recipe calls for sour cream, just make the swap for Greek yogurt and I bet you won’t notice the difference. Here is a perfect example of a recipe where I used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.

For you dessert lovers out there (myself included,) did you know that there is a healthy substitute for whipped cream? You bet, it’s called coconut milk!!! I’ve tested this on my family, thinking they would notice the difference, but no one said anything, they all enjoyed the whipped coconut milk just the same! These Clean Eating Pumpkin Cream Bars use coconut milk and are 21 Day Fix approved.

Make room for healthy fats

Love ice cream? No problem! You can easily make “healthy” ice cream from frozen fruit!

Love butter? Then try using coconut oil! Whenever a recipe calls for butter, I just sub in the same amount of coconut oil. These chocolate brownies are the perfect example.

Avocado is already a wonderful healthy fat and very versatile. Did you know you can make a delicious chocolate dessert from it? And no, you can’t even taste it!

Lighten up on the cheese, please

This one was hard for me at first because I LOVE cheese!! When I saw that little blue 21 Day Fix container, I thought, “now way is that enough cheese!” But guess what? It actually is!! You don’t need much cheese to make something tasty. I usually cut the original amount of cheese in half for every recipe I make. Or, I’ll add some cottage cheese to the mix. That way you get more protein with your cheese. This Healthy Turkey Pasta Bake tastes wonderful with cottage cheese and a little bit of light shredded cheese.

There you have it, some simple ways to make your favourite recipes 21 Day Fix approved!

If you make some healthy swaps, I would love for you to post a picture of it on Instagram and tag me @thefithousewife so I can see! Or leave a comment below and tell me what your favourite 21 Day Fix approved swap is 🙂

Want to read more about the 21 Day Fix? Check out my results and review here. Or if you need help with your 21 Day Fix meal planning, check out my helpful video!

© Jennifer Gacek and The Fit Housewife, 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Jennifer Gacek and The Fit Housewife with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Print This Print This

1 Ashley May 15, 2015 at 12:59 pm

The last bit where you say, That way you get some protein with your cheese.” doesn’t make any sense at all since the two things cheese will give you is fat and protein. Lots of it! Cottage cheese has/can have a lower fat profile but also has a lower protein profile. So unless you say, you can STILL have protein from your cheese AND lower the fat content, you do not make sense!

2 Jen May 15, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Sorry if you misunderstood what I was trying to say Ashley, but I just want to clarify that my post is about the 21 Day Fix program, so we need to take that into consideration. That’s why I recommend cottage cheese as a good option, it falls under the “protein” category in the 21 Day Fix, cheese only falls under the fat option and you can have very little on the plan. While you’re right in that cottage cheese may have less protein than most cheese, it has the least amount of calories per serving, and therefore is the best option for someone following the program 🙂

3 Amber Brady August 6, 2015 at 11:46 am

Is there any way possible to make Tamales 21 day fix approved?

4 Jen August 7, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Yes for sure Amber! If you go to Pinterest and search “21 Day Fix Tamales” you will get a lot of recipe ideas 🙂

5 Sarah August 18, 2015 at 8:32 pm

I’m just starting the 21 day fix and am excited to try these recipes! I was so confused about swaps and substitutions but this makes it seem so easy. Thank you!
Sarah recently posted..Bridal Shower Sugar CookiesMy Profile

6 Jen August 19, 2015 at 2:34 pm

That’s awesome Sarah!! I’m so glad this has helped! How are you liking the program so far?

7 Sarah August 20, 2015 at 11:24 am

I can’t figure out how to reply to your reply on my original comment. But! I am loving the program so far. I thought it would be much harder than it actually is but there’s such a variety of food, and now that I’m learning what swaps I can make, it’s actually super easy!
Sarah recently posted..What a difference a header makes!My Profile

8 Jen August 20, 2015 at 4:53 pm

That’s awesome Sarah! So glad you’re loving it too and not finding it too hard 🙂

9 Nancy October 6, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Hello, I’ve been trying to figure out what containers to use for coconut flour and allons flour. Do you know?

10 Jen October 7, 2015 at 11:21 am

I would personally say it depends on how much you are using? How much coconut flour would be in 1 serving?

11 Jackie Prior November 20, 2015 at 3:59 pm

Hello! Do you have a recipe for Chicken Wild Rice Soup?

12 Jen November 21, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Hi Jackie! No, sorry, I don’t at the moment. The only one I have on the blog is for Ol’ Fashioned Chicken Soup 🙂

13 Zach DePriest February 3, 2016 at 2:47 am

I’m curious, do you count flour as anything when you use it? I wanna bake a pizza with cauliflower and sweet potato for the crust, but not sure what to count the flour as. Or a good amount to use for the pizza. Thanks :).

14 Jen February 3, 2016 at 2:23 pm

Yes, I would sound flour as a yellow – depends how much you use in a recipe.

15 Natalie May 1, 2016 at 8:43 pm

Hi, what recipe is pictured above? It appears to be some sort of lemon blueberry muffin, but I don’t see it mentioned in the text. I would love to find some Fix-friendly lemon blueberry muffins!

16 Jen May 2, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Yes, those are my Healthy Blueberry Muffins! Here’s the link: http://thefithousewife.com/2014/02/healthy-blueberry-muffins.html/

17 gauri January 19, 2017 at 9:24 am

Thank you foe the information. would you know what we can replace cream cheese with? There is this Vegetarian Enchilada recipe I want to try and it asks for 4 ounce for cream cheese. TIA.

18 Jen January 19, 2017 at 12:15 pm

I would personally use the cream cheese, but if you don’t want to, then maybe try plain Greek yogurt or ricotta cheese.