How to Use the 21 Day Fix Containers for Body Beast

by Jen on June 18, 2015

Are you doing the program Body Beast? Does the nutrition plan have you confused? Simplify the process by using your 21 Day Fix containers!

How to use your 21 day fix containers for body beast to simplify the eating plan | The Fit Housewife

**MAJOR UPDATE – the Body Beast Meal Plan has now been updated to include the 21 Day Fix containers as of NOV 25th! If you have the old nutrition plan, you can view the new plan through Beachbody on Demand. Just login to your teambeachbody.com account and click on Beachbody on Demand. From there, go to Member Library and click on Body Beast. You’ll see the nutrition plan listed on the right hand side if you’re on your computer or under the PROGRAM MATERIALS BUTTON if you’re on your phone or tablet. If you don’t have BOD, you can sign up for a 30 day trial here.

Probably one of the most common concerns I get is, “The Body Beast nutrition plan is so confusing..HELP!!” Well, I agree with you. When I first looked at the plan, it was overwhelming. I need HOW many servings of protein? I need to eat HOW many calories?

When you are lifting heavy weights, like you are in Body Beast, your metabolism starts to skyrocket! For me personally, when I lift heavy weights, I’m seriously hungry throughout the day. That’s because when you build muscle, you are burning more calories at rest…even while you’re sleeping. So your body NEEDS the fuel to rebuild that muscle and burn fat!

Now that you understand WHY you need more calories, you’re probably looking at the portions and thinking, there is no way I can eat 10 servings of protein! But wait!!! One serving of protein on Body Beast is only 1 oz. So you’re not eating 10 chicken breasts, you’re actually only eating 2-1/2 (assuming one chicken breast is 4 oz.) Does that sound more doable? Of course, the higher calorie bracket you’re in, the more servings you’ll need.

I prefer to use my 21 Day Fix containers to help me with my portions throughout the day rather than weighing and measuring everything out. Let me use myself as an example. I am at the 2,200 calorie level according to the Body Beast calorie calculator for the BUILD PHASE. So for me, this means I get the following 21 Day Fix containers in a day:

GREEN – 5

This is 5 green containers full of RAW veggies. If you’re using cooked, then you get half that. On the Beast plan 1/2 cup cooked = 1 cup raw. So I can have 5 cups raw veggies throughout my day or I can have 2-1/2 cups cooked veggies throughout my day. Pretty simple.

PURPLE – 3

I get about 3 purple containers of fruit per day. Now, this one is a little tricky because each fruit has it’s own portion size according to the Beast guide. I would just suggest checking out the list of fruits in the guidebook and checking to see what the correct portion size is. For example, 1/2 a banana is a serving of fruit, or 3/4 cup blueberries is a serving of fruit. Overall though, it averages to about 3 purple 21 day fix containers.

RED – 3

You might be thinking, you only get 3 red containers of protein? YES! Of course, that changes once you’re in the BEAST phase. I get 10 servings of protein per day during the BUILD phase. Remember, in the book, 1 serving is typically 1 oz. So that averages out to 3 red containers. **Also, please note that Shakeology does NOT fall under the protein macro**

YELLOW – 6

YAY!! Check out all the carbs you get to eat during this phase of the program! Trust me though, you need them!! Your body needs them as fuel to build muscle and boost your metabolism. If you’re trying to get lean by building muscle but you’re skipping out on the carbs, it’s just not gonna work my friends. On the Beast plan, I would get 5 starches and 3 legumes (including 3/4 scoop Shakeology – the other 1/4 scoop is a veggie.) This averages out to about 6 yellow, 21 day fix containers, per day. Again, check the guidebook for the starches and legumes that you can eat while doing Body Beast.

BLUE – 1

I get about 1 blue container during the BUILD phase. This could be avocado or nuts.

ORANGE – 1

I get 1 orange container during the BUILD phase. This could be chia seeds, coconut, seeds

TSP – 3

I get about 3 tsp during the BUILD phase. This is where your oils and nut butters come in.

**PLEASE NOTE – this calculation I’ve done for myself is for the BUILD PHASE. Once you’ve completed the BUILD PHASE, you need to REDO the calorie calculations based on your weight and body fat %. Typically, you gain some weight during the first two phases of Body Beast, so you may change calorie brackets as you go along. But then you get to lean out in the BEAST phase!! Your eating will totally change. You’ll be eating a lot less carbs and a lot more protein!

If you are using the 21 day fix containers to help with your portions, then it does take some figuring out. I just personally find it easier than measuring and weighing everything for each meal. I know how many containers I can have each day and I simply follow that.

**UPDATE: Please note the Body Beast nutrition plan has NOW been updated to include the 21 Day Fix containers! If you have the old nutrition guide, simply login to teambeachbody.com and click on Beachbody on Demand, Member Library, Body Beast, and you’ll see the NEW nutrition plan on the right hand side. Don’t have BOD? Sign up for a 30 day FREE trial HERE.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Print This Print This

1 Tisha July 22, 2015 at 10:51 am

I am doing the body beast workouts and am trying to figure out how to incorporate 21 day fix containers into meal planning.. this is difficult.. Can you help me 🙁 please…

2 Jen July 23, 2015 at 10:51 am

There are two ways to do this: 1) you can figure out your calories for Beast and then apply it to the 21 day fix calorie ranges, or 2) you can figure out your calories for Beast, and then use the plan to determine how many servings of each macro you need, like I did in this post. Which one are you trying to do Tisha?

3 Tracy Siok September 20, 2015 at 5:47 pm

I understand how to convert my calorie intake from the Beast and convert to 21 Day Fix Containers, but, the Beast list of foods is different than 21 DF. For example: Beast allowes butter. So which food list do you use?

4 Jen September 21, 2015 at 4:48 pm

It’s really up to you Tracy. I personally use the 21 day fix lists, but both are okay 🙂

5 Shelly Sommerfield October 1, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Just so you know, the macronutrient percentages are not the same from 21 Day Fix to Body Beast. Simply using the Beast calorie equation and the corresponding calorie levle in 21 Day Fix will yield limited results. The Build and Bulk phases of Body Beast are carbohydrate focussed. Beast (Build and Bulk) macro %’s are 50% Carbs, 25% protein, 25% fats and 21 Day Fix is 40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fats. Muscle require carbohydrates first and formeost for the energy needed to repair and grow. Of yourse you have the right to do it any way you want. There are conversion charts out there to use the 21 Day Fix containers to match Beast macros. There is a big difference between the nutrition for a program designed for fat loss (21 Day Fix) and a program deigned for muscle gain.

6 Jen October 2, 2015 at 9:59 am

Yes, thank you. That’s why you’ll notice the container counts are very different in my article than they are the 21 day Fix 🙂 You get to have a lot more yellow containers!! YAY!

7 Renee March 6, 2016 at 11:03 am

Hi- what are your container numbers for the lean phase? I am just starting out, but am curious how exactly you adjusted the foods in Body Beast for those last few weeks. I am in the same food/calorie bracket as you. Thanks!

8 Jen March 7, 2016 at 4:46 pm

I don’t remember Renee, it’s been a while since I’ve used the program. I would have to check and get back to you 🙂

9 louise March 23, 2016 at 1:58 pm

Omg, I LOVE this information! I received the body beach program today and was scratching my head over the food plan when I came across your website. I already have the 21 day fix container system and I am in the same calorie bracket as you! So I will follow this to the lettwr. But I’m vonfused, where does my shakeology scoop fall into this (I have it with 10oz almond milk) and do I always eat this many or does that change with the 2nd and 3rd phase/block?? I don’t see that in the book. Lastly, what weights I’d you start with? I have some dumbells 3, 5, 8 I guess I’m gonna need some heavier weigts!!

10 Jen March 26, 2016 at 10:37 am

In my post, I’ve put Shakeology under the yellow and green containers (3/4 of a yellow, 1/4 of a green.) You need to redo your calorie calculations as you go along because you’ll be losing weight..check your guidebook for the calculations in the last phase, the LEAN phase. As for weights, everyone is going to be different. You’ll definitely want heavier weights for your legs (20+) Best of luck!!! Also, if you’re not working with a coach, I’m happy to help! Just email me thefithousewife@gmail.com with the title Body Beast Help.

11 Bobbi jo wickman March 25, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Hi there! Woooow i have been all over the world and back and fibally after some figuring out i have body beast and want to complete at a calorie deficit with a more fat shred feel to it.. im having a hard time figuring in my containers with my macroa but if i want to follow a more 40/30/30 approach i can just use 21 day fix containers without changing right?
Thanks for the help

12 Jen March 26, 2016 at 10:30 am

Yes, you can follow the 21 day fix container system 🙂

13 Bobbi jo wickman March 26, 2016 at 10:36 am

Thanks

14 Ashley Murray April 14, 2016 at 1:25 pm

Do you think following the 21 day fix will yield better weight loss results while doing body beast?

15 Jen April 15, 2016 at 4:49 pm

I think it really depends on your body Ashley. For me, I needed more carbs than the 21 day fix plan offered, otherwise I was so hungry and tired. So you could give it a try and see how you feel 🙂

16 Liana July 30, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Hi Jen, you might have already answered this somewhere and I’m just not seeing it, but what are the container counts for Phase 3? We’re in the same calorie category and this is so much easier for me to follow! Thanks!

17 Jen August 1, 2016 at 3:06 pm

I’m not sure, I’ve never calculated it as I’ve never followed the phase 3 eating plan 🙁

18 Trinidad Castro August 1, 2016 at 7:43 pm

Hi. I started today the BB program and I’m a little bit lost. I’m doing the lean program and I’m in the 2000 calories. Talking about the containers, where do I put the legumes and the balanced liquids? Shakeology is under protein líquids and under balanced liquids, then, how do I count the Shakeology and what amount? Thanks. Please help.

19 Jen August 2, 2016 at 2:01 pm

Thanks for your comment. Honestly, I don’t follow the Beast plan anymore, it’s just way to confusing. I now count calories and macros because it’s so much easier. You can look what what I do if go to the NUTRITION tab here on my blog, and click on How to Count Calories and Macros For Weight Loss. I think you’ll find it so much easier than trying to understand the BB plan. I also use the 21 day fix containers to measure my servings. Hope that helps.

20 Daisy November 26, 2016 at 5:17 pm

FYI Body Beast program now as the portion fix containers, they took out the old plan. I’m guessing this changed when they added BB to the BOD line up, as it was the old way just a month ago when I purchased it.

21 Jen November 27, 2016 at 9:10 am

YAY!! That is great they changed it! That was the #1 question I got all the time – the meal plan confusion! I just looked it over on BOD and it looks so much easier to follow! Thanks for letting us know 🙂

22 Micheline January 18, 2017 at 3:00 am

So shakeology is not counted as a red ? And I cannot locate nutrion plan on bod I go on beast and nothing on right just the workouts thank you o and right now I’m at 1600 range seems like I should be eating more so confusing thank you

23 Jen January 18, 2017 at 1:46 pm

With the new plan, Shakeology is a red container. When you login to BOD, click on the PROGRAM MATERIALS button if you’re on your phone or tablet and you can access the new nutrition plan there.