Been on a recent food binge? Here’s how to recover your body and mind after a food binge.
It’s the weekend, you’re out with friends, and you indulge in a few tasty treats you normally would not eat. After a few drinks, you find that your willpower goes out the window and all of your good choices go with it.
I’ve been there, done that way too many times!!
It’s going to happen. We are going to have times where we make bad food choices and end up binging on food we normally don’t eat. So here are my tips on how to recover your body AND mind after a food binge!
1. Plan your day: If you know you have a morning breakfast or brunch get together which will consist of foods like muffins, donuts, bagels, mimosas, then plan for it! First, see if there are some healthy choices available, like some eggs and fruit, and then add on a treat or two. Second, enjoy your breakfast treats and then eat healthy the rest of the day. Just because you binge on one meal doesn’t mean the rest of the day is shot. For lunch and dinner, focus on eating healthy proteins, lots of vegetables, and go lighter on the carbs.
2. Drink your water: It’s so important to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Drinking water keeps your body’s metabolism running and helps flush out the toxins and digest the bad stuff.
3. Make your last meal the healthiest: Maybe you haven’t binged on just one meal but instead, you’ve been snacking on unhealthy stuff all day long. Try and end your day with a healthy meal. Stick to healthy protein like lean meat and then double up on your veggies, like a huge salad or some steamed veggies. And make sure to have your last meal at least 2 hours before bedtime. It’s important to end your day on a positive note 🙂
4. Exercise: I know that you may not feel like exercising after a food binge. Typically we feel tired, sluggish, and gross! But it’s actually a good thing to get moving. Both your body and mind will thank you when you start to release those endorphins! Try out the new Beachbody on Demand (BOD) and stream workouts like the 21 Day Fix, Piyo, Insanity Max 30, or T25 right to your mobile device or home TV so you can get your sweat on no matter where you are!
5. Start with a healthy breakfast: If you binged the night before, then start your day with a nice healthy breakfast that consists of protein and healthy fats. Try to stay away from a breakfast with carbs. Sticking to protein, healthy fats, and veggies gives your body time to use up what it has stored from the day before rather than overloading your system with more! **BONUS TIP – the morning after a binge, workout on an empty stomach! This will help your body burn the fat it’s stored from the day before!!
6. Don’t give in: Okay, so maybe you had a bad meal or even a bad day. That doesn’t mean you are a lost cause and should just give up! Just pick yourself up, learn from the situation, and move on. That is the best you can do!
It’s important to listen to your body after a food binge. How do you feel? I’m guessing you don’t feel that great. So ask yourself, would you rather feel like that or would you rather feel empowered, confident, and strong because you know you are making the right decisions?
I encourage you to stay focused on your goals this weekend! I encourage you to wake up Monday morning and feel proud of yourself for making the right choices! You can do this!!
If you are interested in staying accountable this holiday season, I’m hosting a special Drop a Dress Size Holiday Survival Group to help us all survive the holidays without falling off the wagon. We start December 7th! Please fill out the application if you are interested in joining!