Understanding the 21 Day Fix Containers

by Jen on November 12, 2015

Get the breakdown on each 21 Day Fix container and how to use them to see maximum results.

Understanding the 21 Day Fix Containers. Take the guesswork and confusion out of the 21 Day Fix portion control containers!

I get a lot of clients that message me after they purchase the 21 Day Fix and say they are having trouble figuring out the portion control containers that their program came with. The 21 Day Fix is meant to keep eating simple, so I thought I would share some tips on how to use the containers properly so you can meal plan with ease and also see better results!

First, let’s talk about each container…

There are 6 colours corresponding to 6 different types of foods.

The green container is for vegetables. These can be cooked or raw, sliced or diced. Some examples include Romaine lettuce, spinach, squash, bell peppers, and mushrooms. If you’re making a salad with lettuce, go ahead and squash that lettuce in there for a voluminous salad.

The purple container is for fruits. Berries, cherries, and grapes can easily fit right into the container, no chopping necessary. But larger fruits like watermelon need to be chopped into bite sized pieces and then put in the container.

The red container is for protein. Fill this container with chicken, fish, lean red meat, eggs, Greek yogurt, tofu, etc. There is a long list of proteins in the 21 Day Fix Guidebook, so pick and choose your favorites.

The yellow container is for carbs and starches. This container is for foods such as yams, rice, beans, and whole-grain pasta. For foods that don’t fit into the container, like a tortilla or piece of bread, check your 21 Day Fix Guidebook to determine the correct portion size.

The blue container is for healthy fats. I like to put nuts, cheese, mashed avocado, or hummus in my blue container.

The orange container is for seeds and dressings. This container is the smallest, and is used for calorie-dense foods such as salad dressings, coconut, and seeds. There are a bunch of 21 Day Fix approved salad dressing recipes in the guidebook, so definitely check them out. You can make them ahead of time in a jar and store them in the fridge for a few days.

The tsp is for oils and butters. A teaspoon is not provided with your containers, so you’ll have to use your own. It’s used for yummy things like nut butters and coconut oil!

Here’s a **BONUS TIP**

21-day-fix-tip

The containers are meant to be full, but not so full you can’t put the lid on! A proper portion is the container filled with the lid on 🙂

How to use the containers

Now that you know what goes in the containers, let’s figure out how to properly use them.

First, you need to go to page 4 of your 21 Day Fix nutrition guide to figure out how many calories you are allowed each day. This calorie calculation is going to tell you how many calories you’re going to eat to lose weight eating the Fix way. **Remember, this calculation in the 21 Day Fix book is based on the average calories burned during the Fix workouts. So if you’re doing another workout, like T25 or Body Beast, you need to use the T25 or Body Beast calorie calculation first to figure out your calorie target.

So once you’ve figured out your calorie target, take a look at the chart on page 19 to figure out how many containers of each colour you should eat each day for your calorie range. I love that we actually don’t count calories in this program, we just count the number of containers we can have each day. That makes it super simple! If you’re paying attention to the macronutrient percentages, you’ll notice that it’s roughly 40% carbohydrates, 30% protein, and 30% fat.

Don’t be afraid to mix and match foods of the same category to fill a single container. Let’s say you’re making a wrap for lunch. You can fill half of the green container with lettuce and half with tomato to equal ONE green container.

Why the 21 Day Fix Container System Works

No more counting calories! If you’re using the 21 Day Fix system, you don’t have to count every single calorie. Instead, you only count the number of containers you can have in one day. If you need help keeping track of your containers, please use my FREE printable 21 Day Fix Tally Sheets!

You are not starving! I don’t think I’ve ever had a complaint from a client saying that they are starving using this system. In fact, usually the opposite is true! My clients typically tell me it’s a lot of food! That’s because healthy food has a lot more volume than junk food. If you find that you are too full to eat all of your containers every day, then only eat what you can. **But make sure to eat a little from ALL of the containers instead of just filling up on your favourite kind and avoiding what you like least.

It’s practical! Portion control is all about moderation and being aware of what you’re eating. The containers help you achieve this. Soon, you’ll get into a routine of how many fruits, vegetables, proteins, and healthy fats you should be eating each day.

My recipes are 21 Day Fix Approved and I do break down the container equivalents so you don’t have to guess (if you have a question about a recipe, please contact me.) If you would like even more ideas for 21 Day Fix approved meals, definitely check out the Fixate Cookbook. It’s full of yummy and healthy recipes and includes which containers the recipe fits into.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Print This Print This

1 Jean December 10, 2015 at 4:31 pm

That’s a great tip. thank you! I was often over filling the containers for the program since other sites showed images that were overflowing.

2 Jen December 12, 2015 at 1:07 pm

You’re welcome, glad it could help 🙂

3 Kristin Greco January 13, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Hi! I make a shake in the morning that has 1/4 cup of oatmeal in it. Do I mark the yellow container just as a half serving since the oatmeal only filled half of it? I haven’t seen an answer to how to mark your serving if you only use half the serving size. Thanks!

4 Jen January 13, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Yes, if you only use 1/2 the container, then you mark it as half. Remember the yellow container states that it’s “cooked oatmeal.” So if you’re using 1/4 cup of uncooked oatmeal, that is equal to 1/2 a cup of cooked oatmeal.

5 ashley January 13, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Where all can I get containers to use for the 21 day fix?

6 Jen January 14, 2016 at 10:21 am

Hi Ahsley! I can help you with that. Are you looking to get just a set of containers or the whole program or just the nutrition guide and containers?

7 Lauren January 22, 2016 at 1:13 am

I’ve been looking for a set of just the containers. I already purchased the program but managed to lose a few of the containers in a move…

8 Jen January 22, 2016 at 1:26 pm

Hi Lauren! You can definitely get just the containers. Here is the link: http://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/BBPrtnFixCont?referringRepId=191607

9 Natasha January 25, 2016 at 2:53 pm

I have the containers, is there a way for me to get the nutrition guide?

10 Jen January 25, 2016 at 4:52 pm

No, you can’t get the guide separate from everything else. You would have to either order the Portion Fix program or the full 21 day fix program. Here are the links for both if you want to check them out: 21 day fix: http://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/21DayFix?referringRepId=191607
Portion Fix: http://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/BBPortionFix?referringRepId=191607

11 Jo Anna January 28, 2016 at 4:01 pm

why are there 2 orange containers when all of the calorie plans only call for 1 orange container a day? Are you allowed 1 orange container for oils plus one container for seeds? I asked a beachbody coach and she did not know why there were 2 orange containers. Just curious

12 Jen January 28, 2016 at 4:56 pm

It’s just in case one gets dirty. So let’s say you have dressing in it one day, and the next day you have seeds in it, then you don’t have to wash the one with the leftover dressing in it.

13 Morgan July 22, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Curious, why wouldn’t they include that for every size? If I put yogurts in a container, I don’t want to turn around and put eggs it in?

14 Jen July 23, 2016 at 12:43 pm

The containers are mostly used for measuring. I like to use them to measure then put my stuff in something else. Then I just rinse it out and add the next food.

15 Karen April 2, 2016 at 8:05 am

If I make a tossed salad do layer each ingredient seperately into the container or can I make the salad and then fill the container?

16 Jen April 2, 2016 at 12:27 pm

It depends what’s in your salad. If it’s all veggies and nothing else, then you can toss them together and then measure in the container.

17 Danielle April 10, 2016 at 1:11 pm

If I drink a protein shake for breakfast that is not shakeology and is already premade example Premiere Protein Drink how many proteins would that count for it comes in a 11 oz container?

18 Jen April 11, 2016 at 8:46 am

I’m not sure what’s all in it, but if it’s just protein, then it would count for a red.

19 matt April 13, 2016 at 10:30 am

are the 7 containers for the entire day? or would you need three sets of the 7 containers for your 3 meals a day? or 2 sets for 2 meals?

20 Jen April 13, 2016 at 12:55 pm

No, the 7 containers aren’t all you get for the whole day. You need t figure out the calories you need, then use the table in the nutrition guide to see how many of EACH container you get for the day.

21 Christine April 18, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Is a shake a meal replacement? What containers are omitted when I have a shake?

22 Jen April 19, 2016 at 4:13 pm

It depends which shake you’re asking about. If you’re asking about Shakeology, then yes, that is a meal replacement. As for the containers it counts for, if you just mix it with water, it’s a red container. But if you add in fruit and healthy fat, then you would have to count the appropriate containers as well (ex. purple and tsp.)

23 zamantha ruiz April 23, 2016 at 10:32 pm

Hello, i was wondering I’m planning on doing the kodiak cakes; how would you break those down in the 21 day fix if i just added water? for example would one pancake be equivalent to 1 red and 1 yellow . Also if i decided to add an egg how would that count?

24 Jen April 25, 2016 at 9:58 am

I personally would not count the Kodiak cakes as a full red container as the amount of protein isn’t as much as anything else on the list of “red” container foods. They can be counted the same as a pancake, so 1 pancake = 1 yellow container. Perhaps if you added 1 egg to it, then you could count it as a red as well.

25 Kelsey June 2, 2016 at 9:30 pm

I was wondering if it’s listed some where on your recipes how much of the recipe equals the containers that you list? For example it says zucchini pizza is 1 green one yellow..is that for the entire recipe?

26 Jen June 4, 2016 at 2:57 pm

The containers are per serving. So if the recipe serves 4, then it’s for 1 of those 4 servings.

27 hope sullivan June 24, 2016 at 6:20 pm

I am still confused, I really need help to understand how to eat each day. I mean I want to do my shakes daily but how do I pace myself in the day and does this mean that I am filling my protein container 3 times for the day? I am doing only 1400 cal a day so I am trying to figure out how to eat each day and how many times do I fill the containers? can you help me?

28 Jen June 25, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Thank you for your comment. If you’re not working with coach already, can you please email me thefithousewife@gmail.com so we can chat more!

29 Shelby October 2, 2016 at 2:52 pm

I recently read that for optimal weight loss you should be eating:

45-65% calories from carbs (complex carbs like veggies)
20-35% from healthy fat
10-35% from lean protein

Does anyone know what the percentages work out to for the containers?

30 Jen October 3, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Both the carbs and fats both seem high and the protein quite low with those ratios you mentioned. I opt for more carbs (about 45%), my fat is around 20% and my protein around 35%..that’s what works for my body type. Some people prefer to have the higher fat and lower carbs. For the containers, the ratios are around 30% protein/40% carbs/30% fat.

31 Mike October 7, 2016 at 12:48 pm

What if you have one more purple then you’re allowed . I am allowed to have 4 but ate 5 purple containers today

32 Jen October 10, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Did you go under in anything else? If it’s one day, not a big deal. It’s when it becomes a habit, that’s when your results will slow down.

33 Michele November 5, 2016 at 7:54 am

How do you account for things that don’t fit in the containers like chicken if you don’t want to cube it up.

34 Jen November 5, 2016 at 1:28 pm

If you don’t want to fit it into the containers, then you’ll have to either use a kitchen scale to weigh it (4 oz) or else try to measure using your hand (should be the size of your palm.)

35 jennifer December 29, 2016 at 3:49 pm

If I would like to try the 21 day fix do I need to purchase multiple containers? I read that based on the calories you get a day determines how many of each container I would get….so how does that work? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Out of all the pinterest articles I came across yours on understanding the 21 day fix and am inspired by your story! I am thinking to give this a try.

36 Jen December 29, 2016 at 3:59 pm

That’s great Jennifer! The 21 day fix comes with the containers you need. You’re right – you get to eat a certain amount of containers each day based on your calories. I’ll email you and we can chat more 🙂

37 Casey Lang January 1, 2017 at 3:33 pm

If I make a dressing with oil or nut butter, would I subtract that amount from my tsp. allowance? Otherwise I’d be doubling up on tsps? Thanks

38 Jen January 2, 2017 at 9:54 am

Yes, anything you eat, including dressing, has to be subtracted from your daily allowance.

39 katie carson January 16, 2017 at 5:56 pm

one question that keeps me so confused… Lets say I make a big pot of Chili…how do I measure this in containers?

40 Jen January 17, 2017 at 12:24 pm
41 katie carson January 16, 2017 at 5:57 pm

What confuses me are items that are cooked together. for example, chili. How do I measure this in the containers?