Healthy Taco Pie
A simple weeknight dinner idea that the whole family will love!
I love tacos!!! Seriously, I could eat them every week. Of course, I love that they taste great, but I also love that I can have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes! And for busy moms like us, that is such a lifesaver sometimes, right?!
We eat some version of tacos every week in our house. There is the tried and true soft tacos or hard tacos, I prefer mine in a lettuce wrap. Then there is my ever so popular Turkey Taco Zucchini Boats recipe which is a great low-carb version of regular tacos. Let’s not forget my oldest son’s favorite, Taco Salad, a classic recipe with a twist. And then something a little different, Taco Pasta or my favorite, Taco Pizza!!
Who knew there were so many ways to enjoy tacos!!
Now, let me introduce you to another way to enjoy tacos – Healthy Taco Pie!
This meal was as good as it looks. Seasoned meat layered between corn tortillas and then topped with fresh tomatoes and cheese. SO good! SO easy to make!
If you’re looking for another way to enjoy the flavor of tacos, I definitely recommend this Healthy Taco Pie.
- 6 corn tortillas (could use 2 large whole wheat tortillas instead)
- 1 lb lean ground chicken (could use extra lean ground beef instead)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 can of refried beans
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 9" pie plate with cooking spray. (I love Spectrum Naturals Coconut Oil)
- In a skillet, brown ground chicken over medium heat. Season with chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper. Add onions and garlic and cook until the meat is browned and cooked all the way through.
- Place 3 corn tortillas in the bottom of the prepared pie plate, overlapping as necessary. Spread refried beans on top. Spoon the meat mixture over the beans and spread evenly. Place 3 more corn tortillas on top of the meat mixture. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and spread salsa over the top of the tortillas. Top with cheese and spinkle the diced tomatoes and onions overtop.
- Bake for another 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and cut into 6 slices.
Cal: 197 Fat: 10.6g Carbs: 18.9g Protein: 18.8g Fiber: 2.6g Sodium: 307mg
21 Day Fix: 1 yellow, 1 red, 1 blue