Do you LOVE a good cheeseburger? Then you’ve got to try these Cheeseburger Zucchini Boats!
Low Carb, Keto, 21 Day Fix, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Sugar Free, Nut Free
I have fallen in love again with burgers!!
When I was eating a low fat, high carb diet, I avoided burgers most of the time. We didn’t even eat much red meat because of it’s higher fat content. But, I’m happy to say, since switching to a low carb way of eating, I have seen the light! I am no longer afraid to eat red meat – I say, bring it on!
Our family has been enjoying a lot more burgers since we’ve switched to a low carb, high fat way of eating. I must say, my hubby and kids are quite pleased. They absolutely love burgers.
I like to add cheese, bacon, and avocado on top of mine and wrap it in a big piece of lettuce. Amazing!
But…when I came across this recipe for a Cheeseburger Zucchini Boat from Sugar Free Mom, I knew I had to try it (her recipes are amazing BTW!)
Let me just say, these zucchini boats are so good!
While we love my Turkey Taco Zucchini Boats, these are just as good. You get all the flavours of a cheeseburger but in a zucchini boat.
I cook mine a little differently than the original recipe, so I thought I would share it with you here.
I hope your family enjoys these as much as we do 🙂
Cheeseburger Zucchini Boats
Enjoy this low carb version of a delicious cheeseburger!
- 4 strips nitrate-free bacon
- 4 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb ground beef (I like to use lean, grass-fed beef)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp no sugar added ketchup
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon to your liking and set aside on a plate. Chop into pieces once cooled.
- While the bacon is cooking, using a teaspoon, hollow out the center of the zucchini halves, leaving a 1/4-inch thick shell on each half. Chop the scooped out zucchini flesh and save 1/2 cup to add to the filling (squeeze excess water with a paper towel,) and discard the rest.
- Cook the onion until softened in the same skillet that you used for the bacon. Add beef and the reserved zucchini flesh. Cook until beef is browned.
- Once beef is browned, add the garlic powder, oregano, salt, pepper, tomato paste, mustard, and ketchup. Stir to combine.
- Place the zucchini boats in a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Using a spoon, fill the zucchini boats dividing the cheeseburger filling evenly, pressing firmly.
- Top each with the cheese and bacon.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes, until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through.
1 Day Fix: 1 green, 1 red, 1 blue